This has been a long time coming for me because my washer has been so smelly for as long as I can remember. I will do a load of laundry, dry it right away and it still comes out smelling moldy and dirty.
I decided to look up the best products to use in your washer without using more chemicals and ultimately settled on the old fashion way by simply using vinegar and baking soda. Super simple but worked like a charm!!!
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
4 cups of White Vinegar
1 Cup of Baking Soda
Dawn Dish Soap (optional)
1. The first thing you want to do is put your washer setting on the largest load and run it with hot water (this should be an option on your washer). Let the water fill up half way. This is when I saw all the nasty gunk that my clothes were being washed in. HOW GROSS!
2. Once it's filled about half way with water you want to add 4 cups of white vinegar and let it sit for 10 minutes.
3. After the vinegar had some time to soak in the water you will add 1 cup of baking soda. You'll notice the water start to bubble and look cloudy, thats normal! Close the lid and continue to fill the rest of the washer with the remaining water. Allow the water to be "washed" a few times, which is just that jerking motion the washer does to clean the clothes.
4. Stop the load and let the water mixture sit for 1-2 hours. After that allow the load to finish washing/ draining. Then run one small rinse cycle at the end to ensure the vinegar smell is gone.
(I actually did this entire process two times to make sure I got it really clean). Worked like a charm and now my clothes smell fresh and most importantly look clean!
5. If you want to take it up a notch a learned this little trick on FaceBook... You take some Dawn Dish Soap and lightly pour it in your washer (without clothes). Then add your clothes and a little laundry detergent. This helps break up the grease, grim or dirt that sticks in cloth fibers. I promise your clothes will smell amazing and feel so good! Plus your washer smells good after too! haha
(Look how clean the water is now)