We all know theres no handbook when it comes to motherhood and I find myself I questioning my decisions daily. So, I figured I would share my most recent "am I doing the right thing?" with you guys in hopes we can feel guilty together. haha!
My son had always been the healthiest eater. I made ALL his purees / food from scratch, until he was a year old (I say this a lot but it's only because I'm so proud... that shit isn't easy). I took pride in myself for introducing unique ingredients to keep his palate open and accepting in hopes he would not become a picky eater. Every one warned me that would come to a screeching hault as he got older, but I didn't believe them. I thought "not my Lyric, he will literally eat anything!" Well... 1 1/2 years old and there we were at a screeching hault, feeding him chicken nuggets and mac and cheese to get SOMETHING... ANYTHING in his belly. Soon after that it turned into a snack party, all day everyday. Snacks on snacks on snacks. I constantly questioned if he was getting enough nutrients in his everyday "meals". We would waste so much money throwing food int he garbage because one day he liked it and the next day he didn't.
I decided to get creative and turn his favorite everyday snacks into healthier guilt free versions. He honestly has no idea and it makes me feel better knowing I'm providing some substance in his little belly.
You may be thinking "who the hell has time to make all these snacks from scratch?" I totally get it. I don't always have the time (or energy) to make them myself. So, I've included my favorite healthier store bought snacks too! All of these are on the cheaper side and you don't necessarily have to buy organic, because let's face it they're in the backyard putting god knows what in their mouth...but you can if you want too!
Broccoli Cheddar Bites
- 2 Heads of Broccoli
- 2 Cups of Oat Flour (Substitute flour of your choice)
- 3 Eggs
- 2 Cups of Mexican Cheese (Substitute your favorite cheese)
- 2 cups of seasoned bread crumbs
- Seasoning- salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Cut the stems of the broccoli and steam florets until soft. You can also add the broccoli in a bowl with water and microwave in batches for 2 minutes or until soft.
- Add broccoli, oat flour, eggs and cheese into a food processor and pulse until everything is combined and broccoli is chopped up.
- Add your bread crumbs to a small bowl. Then form your mixture into small round balls. Place into bread crumbs until the ball is completely covered.
- Place broccoli bites on a baking sheet covered by parchment paper and spray with olive oil.
- Spray the broccoli bites with olive oil cooking spray and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- 1 Banana
- 4 Whole Strawberries
- 1 Cup of Blueberries
- 5oz Container of Vanilla Yogurt
- 2 Cups of Orange Juice
A little trick: If your fruit is going bad, just cut it up and freeze it to make smoothies or popsicles at a later date.
- Add all ingredients into the blender.
- Blend until broken down and smooth.
- Pour into popsicle zip bags, I use the brand Ozaro which comes with a funnel and can be purchased HERE.
Almond Butter Cherrio Bars
- 2 Cups of Cherrios
- 1 Cup of Almond Butter
- 1/2 Cup of Agave
- 1 Tablespoon of Cinnamon
- 1/2 Cup of Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (optional for topping)
- On low heat add your almond butter, cinnamon and agave into a medium sauce pan.
- Mix until it becomes a runny consistency (about 30 seconds to a minute).
- In a large bowl add Cherrio's and almond butter mixture.
- Stir until all the Cherrio's are coated and transfer to a small square baking dish lined with parchment paper.
- If desired, sprinkle chocolate chips on top.
- Refrigerate until hard (about 30 mins), cut and enjoy!
- 2 Large Russet Potatoes
- Olive Oil Cooking Spray
- Seasoning: Salt and Pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Peel and rinse the potatoes.
- Then cut them into sticks by cutting the potato in 4 or 5 vertical pieces, and then cutting each piece into sticks.
- Rinse off the cut potatoes and dry with paper towels.
- Line a backing sheet with parchment paper and spray with olive oil cooking spray.
- Line up potatoes on baking sheet leaving space in between each one, spray with olive oil cooking spray and add seasoning.
- Bake until soft and golden brown, Flip and bake for another 5 minutes.
Plantain Chips│better then chips
Organic White Cheddar Puffs│better then Chetto puffs
Broccoli Puffs│better then Cheetos
Veggie Chips│better then chips
Frozen Yogurts│better then popsicles
Organic Beet Crispy Chews│better then fruit snacks
Real Fruit Strips│better then artificial fruit snacks
Dried Apple Chips│better then chips
Yogurt Covered Raisins │ better then fruit snacks
I hope you enjoy my favorite healthy snacks for toddlers. They can be the pickiest little humans which is hard on us mamas. Hopefully this provides a little relief and makes grocery shoppin', snack pickin' that much easier for you!